Living modern way anyway is not possible without computers as present age is devoted to binary and digital simulations and gadgetry and a personal computer is the most living example of that modern phenomenon of technology that has become integral to everyone’s life. However, to remain part of this technology revolution this is very necessary for a person to remain prized owner of computer by keeping its computer secure for every external and internal threats. There are many methods for keeping a computer secure and healthy.
- Providing a User Account for Each Family Member: If you are living in a family and have many family members accessing your computer. If each person in family has there own individual accounts than in such a situation having individual account can protect that computer from any modification as carried away by a child in the family. This way a person by accessing his only log in can access only files saved by him.
- Protect Files with Passwords: After protecting computer with password procedure on log on, the next step is protecting confidential documents and spreadsheets like family budgets with the help of password. To protect a file with password in Word or Excel open the document. Click mouse on the Microsoft Office button and click Save As > Tools > General Options; type your password in the Password to open box, confirm the password, and then hit OK. When you click OK, you will be prompted to re-enter your password. Save your file. After, it whenever you would reopen your file you would be prompted to enter the password you choose out.
- Keep your computer locked when you are away from it: Sometimes, while working on computer you need to be off from your computer and than such a situation you needs to lock out your computer. As locking the computer helps in protecting personal and corporate data.
- Select a nice password: As password is a method to keep a computer safe and protected from external threat. Therefore selection of right password is very necessary, a good password happens to be at least should be six characters in length, with uppercase and lower case letters and punctuation marks or number mixed in it.
- Firewalls: On networks, firewall protects a computer from other computers by restricting information flowing from them. A firewall gives you more control over data on your computer and line of defense against people or programs (including viruses and worms) which tries to connect with your computer without an invitation.
- Anti –Spyware: Anti spyware is a software program that protects from Spyware, a broad category of malicious software that takes partial control of a computer’s operation without a computer owner’s permission.
- Protection against Viruses: Next most important and relevant issue as related to protection of computer is Virus that is program or piece of code that relays at your system without your knowledge and run against one‘s wishes. For protecting a computer against a virus one should install a number of anti virus programs into it.
What we discussed above was only a part of the computer protection by method of a password. However, there are other advanced methods by which you can protect your computer from threats from internet.